13 January, 2009

My new fiber came in the mail yesterday. I opened it at work. I had to! There was no option. And I'm so glad I did, because it's entirely delightfully and squishy and amazing.

I think the BFL is my favorite, right now. The color is spot-on, exactly what I was hoping for. The 8 oz bag of it is awesome to look at. We touch-tested them last night. Rae likes the merino/tencel best, and I don't blame her. It's way shiny, and way squishy, and slick feeling. The bamboo is similar, but not quite as slick. The BFL, my favorite, is just as squishy but it has more grab to it. (Well, it's not superwash and it's not mixed with a slick plant fiber so that makes total sense.) And I appreciate the grabiness.

I finished the first oz of the colored fiber last night, and then wound it off onto *gasp* our new ballwinder! I'm currently designing (just in my head) a way to create a lazy kate that works well with the ballwinder. I've got some ideas. I'm splitting the second half into quarters to spin it, and I just started that last night. I'm still enamoured with how pretty it is!

So, my favorite thing about spinning - the dyed top I've used the most is all brightly colored with intense contrasting colors. In fact, when Rae first saw the ball of the Louet, she said, "That's ugly. You're never making me anything from that ball of clown barf." Which is totally HIGHlarios, because now every time she sees the finished skein she asks me what I'm making for her. I can't wait to see it knitted up. So see the complete transformation from ball of clown barf to beautiful cowl. :)

No comments: