12 November, 2008

Spindling


So, the spinning is going really really well. I picked up a new bag of Tuscan Grove roving. It's beeeeaaautiful. It's called Electric Storm. It's a superwash merino, colored neon orange, neon leaf green, white and black/dark gray. In class Monday night, we all went over to the fiber wall to see the offerings. The other ladies picked a bag and went up to the register; I picked a bag and went back to my spot on the couch and started spinning.


I worked on it some more last night. I've probably spun about an ounce (or close to an ounce) right now; it's spinning between a dk and a worsted right now, but I've got a new, lighter spindle on the way. That should thin it down to closer to a dk or lace weight. Then I think I'll ply it with some of the plain white, or the other storm colored roving (a similar green color, purple, dark gray, etc) and then make a scarf with it! I think it would make a lovely My So-Called Scarf. Or something like that. Perhaps.

It's fun that I'm already planning on knitting with the yarn I'm making.

I spun some last night, on the clunker spindle. (Which is 2.76 oz. The one I ordered is 0.9 oz. I'm looking forward to the difference.) I pre-drafted about 3 yards of fiber, then started spinning. Standing up, I could get about 2 yards spun before I'd have to wind everything (which, with the additional drafting, equaled about 1/3 of what I'd pre-drafted.) After I'd spun all I could reach, I'd let some slack into the yarn (because at that point it really is yarn!) and sometimes (about half the time) it would be perfect! with hardly any overspun sections.


I'm starting to look at wheels. That's a while off, though. I need money, first. And space to put it.

No comments: