26 November, 2008

Since last week, I've learned to ply. Which means that I'm making yarn. Not at a breakneck pace, mind you, but still making yarn. My own handspun, which I think is entirely delightful.


And now that I'm making my own handspun, I have an entirely different view of it. I purchased a small skein of some handspun over the summer, and hadn't the slightest clue what to do with it. It seemed to precious to disturb. Well, now it's not. And it's going to turn into wrist warmer things, or perhaps a cowl. Because the process of handspun (from roving to singles to plied to knitted object) is now to delightful to interrupt. I'm going to work with it this weekend.


And I'm going to take this ball of fiber (which has gotten considerably smaller since this photo!) and make more of these singles.








Then I'm going to ply the singles together, and make some more of this!!

Which, I promise, is much prettier in person than this poor photo makes it look! And I've got two skeins of it now. And I'm going to finish two spindles worth of singles next time and try to make a little larger skein. And to ply a little differently! Ahh!

Beyond that. Thanksgiving is here. My little brother is coming over. We're eating turkey sandwiches, and probably watching crappy tv. Or something. And he's bringing his new girlfriend who is *gasp* 6 years older than he is! (Last time we were at Dad's, dad kinda freaked out about the age difference, and how you don't want to trap yourself, and older women want to settle down, blah blah. We laughed. Mom was 4 years older than he is (so he knows from experience) and Renee is 10 years older than me. Ha!)

No comments: