13 October, 2008

Saturday was packed full of goodness. Zilla and I went to breakfast and took a walk, then she went to work and left me alone for the day. I cleaned, tidied, washed all the laundry, dusted, etc. And I knitted a lot. I made two obnoxiously hot pink cozies. And I love them. I might not be able to give them away. They still need buttons, but I'll get there. After Buttface got home, we peeled zillions of billions of apples and started the applesauce process. Okay, so only slightly less than a bushel - less than half of what we have to peel.

Sunday we got up early and went out to The Wilds for the day. (Some of) Rae's family went with us. It was Experience Columbus, which meant there were way more people there than normal. And they had private tours scheduled, which meant there were fewer buses than normal. Which means we spent forever waiting for buses to get us from place to place. The weather was really nice - not too hot, but definitely warm. Too warm for a sweater, but cool enough to carry it around just in case. I knitted a bit - got through most of a left wrist warmer before I realized I didn't have waste yarn with me for the thumb (annoying). We got to see some neat animals - rhinoceroses, giraffes, Pere David donkeys, Persian ongers, camels, zebras, antelope (several species), and - my new favorite - the takin. They were fantastic. They've got a back end similar to a bear, a face like a goat, and horns. They can swim, climb, run, jump, and go anywhere on the property. The girl who told us about them said they were the most aggressive /dangerous animals in the place, and special electric boundaries had to be installed because they were trying to get into the people cages. I think that's my favorite thing about The Wilds - the people are in cages instead of the animals. And the tour guides make sure the visitors know that.

Due to the busing delays, we didn't get home until after the SNBA Gala had already started, so we didn't end up going to that. By the time we would have showered and changed, the thing would have been closer to ending than beginning. I was a little bummed - even though the thing would have been full of privileged white men making their money off the backs of poor people, I would have liked to have gone. Katie Reider was going to be honored with an award, and that would have been nice to be a part of.

But since we didn't go, I got out the sewing machine and made Zilla's Halloween costume real fast. Then I started my grandmother's Christmas present - just some throw pillows, but it's absolutely the perfect fabric for her. Then I remembered that I promised her some curtains (the fabric is sitting at Dad's house somewhere) and I need to get those done to send with the pillows. I think I want to make a ruffle for edging on one pillow, but I'm not sure how to do that...

No comments: