15 July, 2008

Wow. Sometimes life really, really sucks.

Death is everywhere right now. It's hanging a shroud over me, clouding the details of everything I see. I'm too distracted to work right now, at this moment, and I've actually got something fun on my desk right now.

Yesterday morning, Katie Reider passed away. She'd been battling serious health problems, but everything had been looking up. Even with the health issues, the loss of Katie is shocking. She passed early yesterday morning, and people in Columbus knew by 10am. Then the lesbian phone tree kicked in, and there was a gathering last night in Goodale Park, which was appropriate. There was some of her music, and kind words from many people who knew her well.

I didn't know her well. We'd met, of course. I've seen her perform a few times. The most memorable, though, was at Little Brothers. I was underage, and drinking. I went outside for a cigarette and didn't have a lighter. There was a group of people off to the side; I approached and they did have matches - Katie Reider matches, at that. We started talking about how cold it was, and my lack of a jacket. Then someone else walked up to the group and joined the conversation. They started talking about the sound check - at which point, I say - Oh, you're one of the bands? And they say yep, we're the Katie Reider Band. And I turn to the newest girl and say, What do you play? and she responds, Well, I'm Katie Reider! Slightly embarassed (but too drunk to realize it) we all walked inside. Ten minutes later, the bassists wife brought me a shot of burbon, and told me I should come to more shows.


And then Raeface called me at work this morning with the news that a co-worker of hers (my personal favorite at the bar) -- his grandmother died, likely yesterday as well. She'd been in poor health, but they weren't expecting it. And, a regular customer at the bar had passed within the last few days as well.

See? Death everywhere. So hold on to your love ones; it's looking to be as depressing a summer as last year...

No comments: